About Paradise Township
Located within the state of Pennsylvania in Monroe County, Paradise Township is a location with a rich history that dates back several hundred years. The lands that eventually formed Paradise Township once represented a locale called the Lene Lenape.
Most notably, this township was a part of the Walking Purchase that took place in 1737. Throughout its storied history, Paradise Township was once a part of several Pennsylvanian counties, including the likes of Northampton, Pike and Bucks. It also shared an allegiance with the townships of Lower Smithfield and Price.
Paradise Township eventually morphed into the leisurely township its known as today, thanks to the New York and Pennsylvania transplants traveling to the area for leisure and settling into the many Pocono homes in the region.
Paradise Township Today
Today, Paradise Township is literally a ' Pocono real estate paradise' for people looking for a rural-based home. The township is rife with many hotels, businesses and many Pocono homes ready for prospective residents. residents living in what they now know as a true rural paradise. As of 2010, over 3,100 people called Paradise Township their home.
Paradise Township wasn't always called paradise. Some of the township's early names included East Swiftwater, Parkside, Henryville and Paradise Valley.
In November 1848, Paradise Township was initially divided from a portion of Price Township. The name 'paradise' came into play, thanks to the natural abundance of healthy flora within its natural area.
In the past, Paradise Township had hills that surrounded two large paralleling valleys, running right through the heart of the township itself. The two notable bodies of water in this area were known as the Long Swap Creek (later renamed Paradise Creek) and Timber Hill Creek (later renamed Forest Hills Run).
The valleys and the surrounding settings together comprise the Brodhead Creek that flows right into the Delaware River.
Thanks to its abundance of rich farmlands surrounded by clean water, European settlers started moving into the Paradise area. The resources there helped the early European settlers promote their trades of farming and logging.
Throughout the 1800s, many settlers from across the region – and the world, as evidenced by the European settlers – settled throughout the Paradise Township area. Although there were a significant amount of settlements, residents had to travel to nearby Stroudsburg for necessary supplies to enrich their lives.
That changed in later years when various businesses and other necessary establishments opened throughout Paradise Township.
As for religion, early settlers practiced out of private homes, until a Lutheran log church was built to provide services for residents. Eventually, the first Evangelical church meeting was held, though the actual church was constructed in 1852; today, it's now known as the Keokee Chapel United Methodist Church. Jones Church or St.Paul's in Swiftwater.
Once railroads were introduced in the early 19th century, Paradise Township soon morphed into a vacation destination.