About Hamilton Township
Hamilton Township is another Monroe County township located in the eastern portion of Pennsylvania. It, along with other nearby townships, comprise a region that resides nearby the Pocono Mountains. Here, much of Monroe County's active tourism and vacationing industries remain active.
In comparison to surrounding townships. Hamilton Township is relatively modest in size and in population. The township takes up at least 38 square miles, which consists of mostly land and some bodies of water.
Hamilton Township hosts several unincorporated communities, including Blue Mountain Pines, Bossardsville, Hamilton Square, Sandhill, Sciota, Snydersville and Stormville. A small part of Saylorsburg also resides in the area.
Hamilton Township hosts vast expanses of farm fields, most of which were surrounded by limestone ridges that provided soil fertile enough to support farming. In fact, these rich fields helped support the early agricultural industry that still leaves its presence on the area today.
As of the 2010 census, this township hosts a healthy population of around 8,200 residents.
Hamilton Township Today
Today, this second class township still remains within the heart of the Pocono Mountains. Its rich historic heritage and location makes it an ideal place for people who want to live in a more rural, yet fairly burgeoning Pocono real estate area.
Since its relatively close to a metropolitan area, people who buy Pocono homes here won't have any difficulties settling in.
Hamilton Township was first established in late December 1762, a date that makes it the second-oldest township located in Monroe County. The township was, in fact, originally formed by the Northampton County court. The origins of the township's name is said to trace back to James Hamilton, who at the time, served as the lieutenant governor of Pennsylvania.
As with other townships, the exchanging of acres of land was common back then. The earliest known deed in the township took place in the mid 1700s, when the Penn family and Bucks County's Nicholas Weiser negotiated a sale of 244 acres of the land. This land was later inherited and sold to John McDowell in 1764.
The township's earliest road is known as the Sullivan Road, which was established as a part of the route that General John Sullivan took northward in his famous 1778 march to the Wyoming Valley.
As mentioned, Hamilton Township's early days were defined by its rich agricultural industry. Most settlers there took up some form of agriculture or farming, producing crops like grains, corn, potatoes, hay and even fruits including pears, apples and plums. Peaches, too, were grown in choice regions of the township where they could achieve their 'peak perfection.'