About Delaware Water Gap
Delaware Water Gap is a Monroe County borough located within Pennsylvania, nestled on the furthest eastern part of the state. It's located close to the eponymous Delaware Water Gap, a pass that runs nearby the Lakawanna Corridor and Interstate 80 run. That particular run extends across the Pennsylvania-New Jersey border residing along the Delaware River.
The borough extends over 1 square mile over its encompassing area, entirely consisting of land. Although the location is famous for its proximity to the Delaware Water Gap, it's also relatively small in both size and population.
As of the 2010 census, over 700 people were known to live there. Being a natural vacationing area, thousands travel through the area to see Delaware Water Gap's flora and fauna in their natural environment.
Delaware Water Gap resides close to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, considered one of the country's most popular vacationing spots.
Delaware Water Gap Today
Delaware Water Gap, although small in nature, is considered a relatively great place to find various Pocono real estate properties. Some people might not think that there's an abundant selection of Pocono homes in the area, but for anyone looking for a quiet rural setting surrounded by unadulterated nature need look no further.
The land that eventually became the borough of Delaware Water Gap was first founded in 1793. A French-born settler by the name of Antoine Dutot emigrated from Santo Domingo into the Philadelphia area.
He later moved northward after being encouraged to take advantage of the opportunities there. Settling on the soon-to-be Delaware Water Gap are, he bought out the large tracts of land located there, naming the new settlement after himself—Dutotsburg.
Delaware Water Gap actually became a borough in May 1889, following its separation from Smithfield Township. Around this time, its name was the Borough of Water Gap. It was changed much later, since Chief Burgess John F. Barteau chose to correct the naming error that was made upon the incorporation of the borough.
Since then, it took on the name Delaware Water Gap, though held the names Monroe Square and Wolf Hollow at one point.
Thanks to the incredible views of the surrounding area, Delaware Water Gap eventually morphed into a tourist-friendly area, much like similar boroughs and townships located in Monroe County. It became so famous that it transformed into the 'second largest inland resort in the United States,' in addition to claiming the title of the most desirable vacation location in Pennsylvania.
The famous Kittatinny Hotel was the earliest known hotel of the borough, built in 1829 by Dutot himself. The Water Gap House followed in 1872, built to accommodate over 200 guests.
As the 'gateway to the Poconos Mountains,' Delaware Water Gap eventually introduced its first railroad station in the early 1900s. Known as the Delaware Water Gap train station, it helped welcome thousands of tourists and service residents who traveled throughout the area.