About Chestnuthill Township
Chestnuthill Township resides within Monroe County of Pennsylvania, located closest to the far eastern edge of the state itself. This second class township is a relatively large township, when compared to other townships in the surrounding area.
This township extends around 37.6 square miles of land with few bodies of water in the surrounding area. At least 150 miles of roads course throughout the township, allowing settlers and future residents to navigate the large expanses of land, spanning over 23,000 acres.
Chestnuthill Township Today
As of the 2010 census, Chestnuthill Township is home to a population at an estimated 17,000. With its close proximity to other townships in the area, this township is considered a relatively safe area for families and individuals to make their home.
The Pocono real estate scene within Chestnuthill Township hosts homes that are a little more expensive than other Pocono homes in Monroe County, though still attractive when compared to other properties in the state.
Chestnuthill Township was incorporated in September 1763, a date recorded in now historical documents about its establishment. Early names for this town ship included Brodheadsville, Effort, Gilbert, McMichael's, Merwinsburg, Pleasant Valley and Sugar Hollow.
The origins of its name stem from its once-abundant chestnut trees, which actually resided along many roadsides and within the vast countryside of the surrounding Chestnuthill Township area. The largest hill summit within the township resides along the McIlhaney-Route 115 road, known as Chestnut Hill.
Unfortunately, the Chestnut Blight of the early 1900s eradicated the remainder of the chestnut trees in the area.
Much like other townships, many early European settlers started establishing homes years prior to the township's establishment. The entirety of Chestnuthill Township was actually much larger than it is today; it initially held land that eventually formed today's Eldred, Polk and Ross Townships.
The largest village within the township is Brodheadsville. At some point, it was originally known as Shafer's. In June 1852, the village was renamed to honor Charles D. Brodhead, a resident originally from Stroudsburg that moved to Chestnuthill Township, later establishing a post office.
One of the earliest European settlers was George Hood; he purchased land west of Brodheadsville from the local Moravians of Bethlehem and even held the township's first elections within his home.
The most notable road in Chestnuthill Township is the Wilkes-Barre and Easton Turnpike. It was originally known as Sullivan Train, first built in 1808 as a main thoroughfare in the township that linked Monroe County to the entirety of the Wyoming Valley. Today, this essential road is known as State Route 115.